Monday, February 3, 2014

L'aissez les bons temps roulez

Two big things to talk about. First, I have a new job. I'll be working in private practice with a local psychiatrist. He has one NP and now he's adding me. It's a truly innovative office, they emphasize therapy as much as medication, and his primary technique is psychodynamic. That's right up my alley, with my love of Jung and appreciation for his philosophy. The psychiatrist's wife is also a key player in the office, and she has an ivy league MBA, and they are very focused on data and best practices. But the most remarkable aspect is basically there is no churn. Unlike most other practices, it's not how many billable hours can you cram in a day, it's more how can we do good and feel good about our work. Education and collaboration is a planned, scheduled weekly thing. And he really means all this -- here's proof: he expects 30 billable hours a week, which is lower than most other practices, and I can do 4-6 therapy-only clients a week. That's really different, and it happens to be what I want. I am so lucky. Maybe it will help me heal from the storm that ran through my life when things I loved so much left me. The signs are good. I start Thursday. There will be an overlap period with my other job, but only as long as I want that (per contract, up to a year). Ken is actually urging me to just quit, but a part of me isn't ready. (I have a great husband, just FYI.) It's going to be emotionally very difficult to leave, to admit that I can't fix this. But more proof seems to happen every day; just this week I found out that they've started a new, expensive initiative that basically is just moving deck chairs around. Can I tell you how angry I am that they have money for this ridiculousness, yet my position was cut in half? It's going to be quite a chore to hold my tongue in the two stupid special management meetings I've been asked to attend, never mind the fact that I'm not management anymore. I mean, hell, I'm PRN, how can that be management? I have to drum up some patient emergency that will require my attention.

The other thing to talk about is Carnaval. Www.sambaparty.com. We went last night and it was one of the most fun events I've been to in ages. It was like an indoor Mardi Gras parade, with the creme de la creme of dancers. I was blown away by the quality of the hour-long drum and dance show by Austin Samba School. (and you better believe I'm going to Zumba tomorrow night, ha) The costumes that the attendees wore were incredible -- I was so both over and under dressed. Dani did my makeup and said "Mom, you look like a hooker." False eyelashes are way fun. Well, that really wasn't enough, I had a mini skirt, fishnets and boots with a Lulu top, but man, I needed to show waaaaay more skin. I lost count of the topless women, the ass-less chaps, the thongs (male and female), the innovative body paint....what a feast for the eyes. I'll definitely be spending more time on my costume next year. It's not a time to be classy, let's just say.






One of the things I really liked about the experience, and you'll see this from my pics, was that people of all shapes and sizes were included among the performers (attendees, too -- all 5,000 of us). There were so many women who weren't rail-thin, just full of happiness and great dancing ability, and did they ever strut their stuff. It was impossible not to smile and feel amazing watching it. Made me wish I could have a field trip with my anxious little anorexic patients, so convinced that the scale determines their worth. Oh baby, it does not. All bodies are beautiful! Just watch and learn.








No comments:

Post a Comment