Sunday, June 27, 2010

We're Texans

We're here. I've been waiting to post when I could upload pictures, but it's been more than a little difficult to put all the components together (internet access with a sufficient keyboard to do more than send a text, connection for camera, time). So it's an update without pictures. The last few days in New Jersey were a whirlwind of details and emotion: seeing people for the last time, getting the house emptied completely out, turning in keys and badges. Those of you that know me know that I'm pretty stoic, but I was full of tears the last day. Huge changes. And my darling teenage daughter, who must be quite upset herself, has really been chewing on me every chance she gets. I'm trying to remember how I felt when my parents moved me at age 14 across the country.

The plane ride was fine except the last leg was late. By the time we got to the hotel, it was close to midnight and everyone was crabby. At least we were upgraded to a nice suite (think they felt sorry for us) & got lots of cookies (Doubletree). Well, Austin is still the city I love. You drive down any little side street and see at least five little funky shops that you want to come back and check out. We are at my parents' house right now with 3 of my 4 siblings and their offspring and spouses/significant others. It's a treat, something that we were doing only once a year. It's hot - very - think it got up to 95 today. But I have on a tank top, shorts, and sandals so I'm happy. Went to Kerbey Lane for dinner last night. This is the same funky little place I went to when I was a UT student in the early 80's. Just feels like something's right in the universe to complete that circle & be back again.

We were nervous about how Gary (our cat) would handle the flying. He was a champ. We had to remove him from the carrier & walk him thru security but even that was OK. He was just cowering, scared out of his mind. When we got to the hotel, he wedged himself under the bed for hours. But now he's out, scent-marking all the furniture with his whiskers.

The final walk-through on the new house was today. A few minor surprises - like no refrigerator, but we went right to Lowe's and fixed that. The current owners are in the midst of a nasty divorce so there are some sticky issues (like the house is still full of stuff), but the realtor promises it will all be resolved by tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed for that.

The hotel gym is pretty sucky, but so far I've had it to myself. I have rediscovered running too, based on their limited selection of cardio. And that's a good thing, I'm enjoying it. Can't wait to check out the two gyms I have in mind here.

No comments:

Post a Comment