Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Weekend Before

It's the weekend before our big move from New Jersey to Texas. This blog will document the thrills all along the way. We are moving a household of 4 from Hunterdon county in Northern Jersey to the Lakeway area of Austin, Texas. I graduated from UT in 1984 & have been back regularly to see family but haven't lived there in ...gosh... 26 years. It's a different place, of course, but still the coolest place I've ever found & I've wanted to work my way back there since I left. Now's my chance. This is a picture of our New Jersey house, with beautiful NJ snow falling.


Quick intros: I, Meredith, am an RN, work here on a medical unit at a small community hospital and do wound care at a state psych hospital. My husband, Ken, is a manager at a large energy corporation and his transfer is driving this move. Dani is our 16 y.o. daughter who likes school, volunteering at the hospital, clothes and friends (not in order). Nile is our 14 y.o. son who is a Jedi master at video games and a senior red belt in Taekwondo. That's 3 of us in the picture.


It really hit me Friday that the storm is coming. We just did the big cross-country move 3 years ago when we moved here from Baton Rouge, so now we're old hands. I sure hope that helps. We got bad news on Thursday that the driver & crew we requested (who moved us up here) had to back out. So we haven't met this guy yet, he's coming by Sunday to survey the scene. I hope he doesn't start muttering under his breath. We have a big house, 4500 sq ft, on 3 levels and of course we have too much stuff. But I promise we're not hoarders (ever seen that TV show? it was quite motivating when I was preparing for the move).

We had to take the company relocation buy-out offer on our house two days ago because we couldn't sell it. The market is not good up here. Luckily they cover us. Of course, they have to, if they want to relocate people! We had a total of 3 showings on our house in 2 months, and we dropped the price $145,000. Didn't help. Anyway, not our problem any more.



So Monday is when all hell breaks loose. The movers will start packing and loading, from Monday-Thursday (& somehow I need to fit in 4 hours of work on Tuesday and Wednesday). I just hope that I don't let them pack my cell phone charger again - did that last time.

7 comments:

  1. I don't envy you! We used to move a lot when my husband was in the Navy. When we moved here, we said it was the last time we'd ever more. That was eight years ago. The only down side to being in one place for that long is that you do start to collect a lot of stuff. Moving is good for forcing you to pitch a lot of stuff that you don't really need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice start. I look forward to following your progress here and hope you find time to keep your blog going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you get ready to move, I'm beginning the grieving process created by losing a wonderful neighbor! Great blog, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing how you make this literal and figurative journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for documenting this - it will be fun to watch happen online. More fun than actually living through it, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well you can always facebook all your Austin friends to come help you unpack when you get here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There better be some fun along the way...I thought writing the blog would force me to find and relish those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blog is a great idea. I really miss you guys and this is a perfect way to keep up with the move. I'm really looking forward to being semi-close to y'all again. I do plan to visit once you're settled in; maybe we can meet for dinner one night. See ya soon!

    ReplyDelete