Thursday, June 27, 2013

Duh DOMA

I passed my boards, who knows how close I came, because all they say is that you passed or failed. It was more difficult than I expected and I'm not allowed to talk about the exam content, but it had questions in areas of focus that I did not expect. Have to leave it at that. It was 175 questions, I took about 3 hours because I went over the entire test again after I completed it, and changed about five answers. I was an utter wet noodle when I finished. I left the little testing room and turned in my stuff, the woman clicked a couple of keys on the computer and then frowned as she stared at the screen. OMFG, did I FAIL? I start babbling, please, tell me I passed. She doesn't answer, still frowning, turns to the printer and then hands me a page that starts with "Congratulations". I should've punched her, but I actually hugged her. Really. Then I gave $20 to the homeless woman on the corner outside. I never have to take it again, as long as I pay my dues and keep up my CEUs. And let me tell you, I'm all over that. So now I'm in the process of getting my license and prescribing numbers. It's exciting.


I've used my dining room as study central since I first started all this grad school mess two years ago - and now I finally have to clean it up. Yes, it's really bad, see?
 
 
It's been a nice time for the last week, a great weight was lifted from me. I've been using this time to clean out the garage and get rid of old clothes, order a new dishwasher, and paint the house. Well, not really. Would like to do all that, but actually the only things I've done is lots of yoga with Dani and lots of Anthro trips. Ha. We had lunch at Hula Hut Monday, lovely sunny day on the lake. Perfect Austin activity.
 
Weird day yesterday. SCOTUS make me proud of my country and our ability to learn, grow, and change. Then the Texas Legislature made me embarrassed as they stupidly wasted our money on a special session to try to chip away (again) on a woman's right to choose. Can we please pick up Austin and whisk it away to sit in another state? I love this place, deeply, but I am so weary of the backward stupidity of the rest of this state. Yes, I'm a little opinionated about this. I've felt strongly about a woman's right to control her own body my whole adult life. I stood as a clinic defender when Operation Rescue tried to create havoc in Baton Rouge (in the early 90's) by targeting and picketing the clinic. And I'm a devoted mother. Anyway, I looooooove this tweet about the great smack-down of DOMA.
 
 
 
I went to a 34-year reunion for the Youth Conservation Corp summer work experience that I did in 1979 in San Angelo. Out of 100 high school kids from back then, only seven of us came back for the reunion. We revisited all the places where we lived and worked. Yes, everything was smaller. So much had changed - the dorm that I lived in had been torn down. Much of it was not familiar. And my boyfriend from that summer didn't go! Yes, my first love, Jeff, had recently moved to New Mexico and just couldn't swing a trip back. It's understandable - I mean, San Angelo doesn't exactly have an international airport - but awwwww, wouldn't that have been awesome? Ken was our photographer for the trip - he was great. It was a nice quick trip away together.
 
Photo: YCC 1979 Reunion. More fun today.
 
I meet with my doctor tomorrow to make the job agreement. I have a very important form that I need to fill out with a little blank for the Doctor's name. So I'm going to say, hey dude, does your name go here? ha. I've been told that he's trying to set up some TeleMedicine (as they call it) for me to do. This is when you have an office visit over a teleconference link, like a fancy Skype session. I'll find out more tomorrow, but the office manager said that it could be a way for me to "jump start" my practice. Sounds good to me. I am ready to roll up my sleeves. Update on that in the next blog.
 
ETA: I got the job! Now just hammering out the details. I'll be there every Tuesday in July, learning and absorbing while I get my license and prescribing authorization. I should be able to start seeing patients in about a month, maybe a little more. Exciting.


No comments:

Post a Comment