Monday, January 9, 2012

Crab Walk


I haven't worked in nine days and since I'm out of school that means lots of vacation. Lots of yoga, lots of spin. Ha. I read a NY Times article about teaching your cat to walk on a leash (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/29/garden/training-a-cat-to-walk-on-a-leash.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=walk%20cat&st=cse) and decided that would be good for Crabby. So I have spent the last week on that process and I'm happy to say that her first real walk today, outside, went well. And yes, it took a week of prep work to make that happen. I ordered the little walking vest/harness that the Times article recommends and kitty treats are essential. It's completely different from walking a dog but I'm so encouraged by the results today. She is going to make a great walking cat. We did have a visit from Mitt Romney over the weekend (Holly's cat) and he didn't participate. Mr. Romney was an observer only.

It's a rainy day in Austin today and it's funny, Ken and I were out at Whole Foods and Performance Bicycle and at both places everyone says with a big smile - hey! It's raining! The drought has totally changed people's attitudes here about rain. A grey, rainy day is a very welcome thing. Instead of walking around Town Lake, a spin class was a much better idea. But eh - can I complain a little? - the gym is so crowded with the resolutioners. At 10:00 this morning, it was hard to find a parking space. I said, don't these people have jobs? (I mean, I certainly don't have one and that's why I'm here....ha). When we had lunch with Holly, she pointed out that many people have more flexible work arrangements now (like her) and can schedule in gym time in the middle of the day. OK, so I guess my 4:15 a.m. workouts aren't going to change any time soon. Not this month.

I just got an order of books in. $620 for nine books. Yep, you have to be rich to afford grad school nowadays. Kind of ridiculous. I thought I might be able to save money by ordering electronic versions but turns out those are almost the same price as the paper books. And illustrations are a problem. So I stuck with the real deal. Here's a list of the titles, I'm actually quite excited about reading some of them.

Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders IV - Text Revision (this is the bible of the psych world)
Interview Guide for Evaluating DSM-IV Psychiatric Disorders
Drug Handbook for Psychiatry
Psychotherapy for the Advanced Practice Nurse
A Guide to Family Assessment and Intervention
Family Therapy - an Overview
Theory & Practice of Group Counseling
Essential Skills in Family Therapy, from First Interview to Termination
Synopsis of Psychiatry (this is the biggest, scariest one)

Now, you may be thinking what the heck's all this family therapy stuff? Aren't most people treated as individuals? Yes, they are, and that's where the primary focus of training will be. The family term just refers to the fact that I'll be trained and qualified (and licensed, once I pass boards) to treat all ages --  including kids, which scares me. And yes, certainly some families need therapy in an inclusive way, as do couples. But most people seek therapy as an individual and I expect that will be most of my client base.

This is my last free week before school. I am going to a continuing education seminar on Thursday called "Food, Stress, and the Brain". It's for medical professionals to get their credit hours for licensing, and doesn't that sound interesting? It's all about the latest research on appetite, hormones, weight loss/gain, and the impact of mood/stress. I'll have to post the pearls that I glean from the seminar.

No comments:

Post a Comment