Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Crazy and New

Little bit crazy, little bit new. We had a mini-crisis Friday when we discovered that a) we had no hot water and b) our garbage can was gone. Little detective work by Dr. House (that's my husband, for those not in the know. They are twins, separated at birth, or so it seems to me and his minions at work) revealed that the pool guy probably turned off the gas when he did some work (after experiencing the pandemonium on Monday when the gas line was cut by the yard guys) and then turned it back on, not realizing that the pilot lights needed to be re-lit. As far as the garbage can, I do not know. It was full of trash and it was gone at 3:30 when I returned home. Quizzing the neighbors revealed nothing. But the garbage company is happy to bring us another one, so I guess it'll be OK. Might want to lock up the can, somehow when I put it out next time, although not sure exactly how. (Who wants a smelly can full of garbage? and we live in a gated neighborhood. It's just screwy.)

Then Monday, Dani and I went to pick up our new breakfast-nook dining set at Pier One. It took 3 trips in my little CR-V and it took all 3 of us (me, Dani, Nile) to carry in the table's box, but we did it! And it looks great, check it out.


Today we are getting new carpet in the bedrooms and the study. You'd think that would be a relatively minor thing, but it's major. The former owners apparently had big dogs that they allowed to swim in the pool and then lay in the master bedroom, wet and smelly. The carpet absolutely reeks in that room. I bent down with my nose near the floor shortly after move-in and gagged. When the pool guy first came, he cheerfully asked, "Do you have some big dogs?" (notice, he said dogs, plural). Why no, we don't. "Well, the filter's completely clogged with dog hair and that's partially why your pool is green." The new carpet looks great, and I know some folks complain about new carpet smell, but I'm not.




Some good stuff happened: We got Dani registered at school and she is taking a lot of challenging classes, including 2 AP, but I think it will be fine. We found a Taekwondo school for Nile after a little trial and error. It's a smaller school than the Clinton one, but I was impressed with the quality of teaching. The twice-a-week teen class will help him make friends. Dani starts volunteering at the teeny-tiny Lakeway Library tomorrow too, and I think she'll meet other teens there. It's a popular place for them to get their service hours.

And we love the pool. Have I mentioned that enough? The water is so warm, it's like bath water. I could spend every evening out there.
























1 comment:

  1. Wow, you have a pool? I'm booking a flight to come see you ... very soon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete